Progress made on graduate student housing project, Anspach renovation

anspachfixing4

The Central Michigan University graduate student housing project is near 25 percent completion.

Steve Lawrence, associate vice president of Facilities Management, said about 50 percent of the block work remains to be completed, along with all of the brick, roofing and interior work.

Lawrence said that no changes to the architectural aspects of the project have been made. However, a few utility connections were developed to adjust for issues unaware of until excavation occurred.

“The expansion of the parking lot is currently underway and will be done before school commences in late August,” Lawrence said. “Concrete block and pre-cast concrete deck work continues, chilled water lines were just installed and steam condensate lines will be started in the next few weeks.”

The construction team appreciates everyone’s patience and understanding as the project continues, Lawrence said.

The projected finish remains March 2013, with a total cost of $28.5 million.

Joan Schmidt, associate director of Residence Life, said the project is a great investment for CMU.

“I am hopeful it will enhance the graduates’ experience,” she said.

CMU lost 96 units in Preston Apartments when the music building was built and 128 units in Washington Court apartments when the Education and Human Services Building and adjacent parking lot were added, Schmidt said.

“We have had a number of family and graduate apartments torn down over the years.” Schmidt said. “With the addition of the College of Medicine, it was the ideal time to add new graduate housing for medical students, visiting scholars and other graduate students.”

The Graduate Housing Complex is not the only construction project happening at CMU this summer.

Danger signs were hung, cranes appeared and fences sprang up surrounding Anspach Hall as construction began on the building at the start of the summer.

Anspach will be temporarily closed, and no classes will be held in the hall this summer as the renovation takes place.

“This project will be done over two summers and be completed in August 2013,” Lawrence said.

A new heating, ventilation and air conditioning system will be installed, along with electrical, plumbing, fire alarm and lighting improvements. Bathrooms will be renovated and new west entrance and student lounge will also be constructed.

“A completed strategic plan will be a key for guide for the updating of the campus facilities master plan,” Lawrence said. “We will begin the master planning process in September 2012 after students and faculty return, so they can be involved in the process.”

Both the $14 million Anspach project and Graduate Housing Project are a part of the facilities master plan, an outline of how the campus will evolve over the next two decades.

The plan’s development was delayed after former University President Michael Rao stepped down in July 2009.