Mount Pleasant guide: Pixie

Pixie Pizza, commonly known as The Pixie, is both a pleasant dining experience and a trip through time to the booming 1950s.

When you walk through the doors of this fast-food classic, 302 N. Mission Street, you’ll feel like you’ve entered a temple to the baby boomers.

Everything from signs, paraphernalia and pieces of cars from the 1950s adorn the walls. The booths are made of a classic blue and pink vinyl material reminiscent of an old-school diner.

The most prominent thing hanging from the walls are the nameplates. Nameplates the size of business cards cover nearly every free space on the walls, bearing the names of people who have completed the Pixie challenge. The challenge requires one person to eat six Coney Dogs or 10 Bitty Burgers within an hour; and if you can complete the challenge, your name can join the ones on the walls.

Food-wise, Pixie is pretty good. Coney Dogs and burgers are their two main items, and both are well worth it. The Coney Dogs are satisfying, and while it might not be the best one you’ve ever had, you won’t be disappointed. If Coney Dogs aren’t your thing, the Bitty Burgers are fantastic as well.

If you can’t decide between the two, you can always grab the No. 5, which comes with a Coney Dogs and two Bitty Burgers.

The service at Pixie is fantastic. The staff was friendly, talkative and more than happy to make suggestions for people new to the Pixie experience. After ordering, they offered to bring food out to you while you found a seat. The food was prepared quickly, and, on slower days, a member of the staff might even offer to take your trash and your tray back for you.

Overall, Pixie feels like you’re getting a fair amount of food for the price. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is exciting, interesting and different. If you’re looking for a change of pace, Pixie is a great choice for a fun and entertaining meal.

Leave a Mount Pleasant legacy by getting your name on Pixie’s wall for generations to see.