MOVIE REVIEW: "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" enjoyable to those with open mind

“Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” was the movie few expected, and even less expected to be good.

However, to audience members with an open mind, the film was not only entertaining, but also visually stunning.

The movie follows Abraham Lincoln throughout his life, from the death of his mother to his own untimely assassination.

Although, there is an odd twist: Lincoln’s mother was killed by a vampire when he was a boy, so he vows to kill that vampire and however many others it takes to avenge his mother’s death.

Oh, and most of the slave owners are actually vampires who took advantage of the opportunity to buy and boss around their own food. So while he’s at it, he might as well end slavery.

Many history buffs are, understandably, turned off by the movie. Lincoln is, after all, one of the most well-known and most-loved presidents in United States history. Who are these moviemakers to tarnish his positive reputation with the same scum featured in “Twilight?”

Well, not surprisingly, one of them is Tim Burton.

The man has a love for the supernatural, so if you don’t, then don’t see his movies. It’s simple movie-going common sense.

However, appreciation should be had for the screenplay writer and author of the novel, Seth Grahame-Smith. He effortlessly wove real-life events into a science-fiction rendition of a major historical event.

For example, in real life Lincoln’s son Willie died of an illness believed to be typhoid fever. In the movie, on the other hand, he was killed by a vampire as a threat to Abraham.

While many lovers of Grahame-Smith’s novel are disappointed by the drastic changes made on the big screen, the story is still incredibly entertaining. In addition, many parts of the novel would be dull in a film adaption. The two versions seem to simply be two different adaptations of a world in which Abraham Lincoln fought vampires.

While the storyline may be a disappointment for some, the special effects and acting are sure to impress audience members across the spectrum.

Director Timur Bekmambetov of “Wanted” fame has an eye for angles that few others would think to shoot from. Scenes effortlessly slide from one to another through subtle transitions. An axe whizzing through the air becomes a quill with which Lincoln writes “vampires.” A pocket watch sliding across a map on a desk becomes the real-life train chugging by in the dead of night.

In addition, Benjamin Walker, who plays Lincoln, commits to the role in a way that audience members truly believe they are watching the 16th president of the United States.

While the movie isn’t for everyone, those who go with an open mind and enjoyment of supernatural adaptations are sure to enjoy a new take on a classic story.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars