'Sink Putts Sink Cancer' at the Golf Center on Friday

From 5 to 10 p.m. Friday, golf enthusiasts can get outside and have fun while supporting a meaningful cause at the ‘Sink Putts Sink Cancer’ charity event at the Golf Center.

The event will feature concessions, putt-putt, a longest drive competition, a live radio broadcast by WCFX-FM and a silent auction; all to support the Angel Wings Foundation, an organization dedicated to providing scholarships and aid to students who have lost a parent to breast cancer.

The Gold Center, 2280 E. Broomfield Road, is donating 50 percent of the proceeds made the day of the event toward the charity. The event’s title sponsor is The Cabin, where patrons who bring Angel Wings coupons or flyers to the restaurant on the day of the occasion will have 20 percent of their bill donated to the Angel Wings Foundation.

Students in the summer PES 320: Foundations of Sports Management class helped plan the charity event.

“All 12 of us have run and managed and planned this event, we were given the instructions and that’s basically it,” said Macomb student Jeff Fantuzzi. “I think it’s a great learning experience and really gives you a feel for the real world and how it’s going to be.”

The group has already raised $2,500 through hole sponsorship and personal donations, in addition to about $500 worth of donations to the silent auction.

“We’d love all the support we can get, and it’s great fun," Fantuzzi said. “The money is staying in the community -- it’s made in the community (and) it’s staying in the community.”