Zumba and Turbo Kick fundraiser sponsors mission trip to Africa

Students and members of the community came together Friday at Finch Fieldhouse to get “Active for Africa,” a Zumba and Turbo Kick fundraiser event. A suggested $5 donation at the door sponsored sending a Mount Pleasant Community Church mission team to Madutle, South Africa.

About 30 participants hopped, kicked and bounded to the beat of the music blasting through the room as they practiced Zumba, an aerobic dance program, and Turbo Kick, a workout that mixes kickboxing and dance.

Bethany Bacheller, a Fremont adjunct, organized and hosted the event with the help of volunteer instructors. It was a success, she said, raising $190 for the trip that will cost $3800 for each of the 14 church members making the journey this July.

With a love of travel and a desire to help, Bacheller will be one of the members to make the trip.

"I got involved with Mount Pleasant Community Church and I like mission work and traveling," she said.

Joel Briggs, Claire senior, finished his dance workout with a sweaty but smiling face.

“This is the most fun I’ve had in a long time,” he said. “It’s great to be out here donating and sweating for a great cause.”

The trip is being made in partnership with Orchard Africa, an organization that, according to a pamphlet, is dedicated to providing HIV/AIDS prevention training, food and water to children and caring for orphans.

The team will be working at a vacation bible school for the local children, as well as visiting hospitals and meeting with local people and leaders in the village.

Rose Cowden, a Mount Pleasant resident, attended the event. She will be one of the members of the trip.

It is important to her that people in Africa know Americans are interested in their struggle and want to help, she said.

“They need to feel (that) people across the world care,” Cowden said.

Mount Pleasant resident Elizabeth Kepner will also be going on the trip. She said it will be an opportunity to see the world and bond with her son Ben, who will also be going to Madutle.

“I just have a big heart for the orphans,” she said.

Managing Editor Mike Nichols contributed to this report