CMU announces resignation of Lori Arviso Alvord, associate dean for College of Medicine

alvord-mug

Central Michigan University announced Wednesday the resignation of Dr. Lori Arviso Alvord, associate dean of student affairs for the College of Medicine.

In a statement, CMED dean Ernest Yoder said Alvord has accepted a job as associate dean of student affairs and admission at the University of Arizona's College of Medicine. Her last day at CMU will be Aug. 31.

"We thank Lori for her service in helping to start the College of Medicine and wish her well as she embarks on this step,” Yoder said in the release. “The Arizona position will advance Lori’s work in the fields of Native American health and integrative medicine and is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for her.”

A former professor at Dartmouth College, Alvord was hired by CMU in September 2010 as the fourth and final associate dean of the College of Medicine. Her duties included helping develop the undergraduate medical education program. Her salary was $250,000.

Alvord is the second associate dean to leave the College of Medicine. In January 2011, Dr. Nehad El-Sawi resigned as associate dean for medical education and faculty development.

Yoder said a national search to replace Alvord will begin immediately. Dr. Joel Lanphear will serve as interim associate dean.