Anspach Hall renovation phase one complete; phase two to begin next August

The first phase of the two-part Anspach Hall renovation is complete.

Anspach now has a new HVAC system and electrical system, along with a new generator. Classrooms in the building received updated technology and furniture. Other changes include new flooring, ceilings and the installation of LED lighting.

Project manager Steve Esch said the $14.1 million renovation project would provide the 46-year-old building with infrastructure for the next 40 to 50 years.

“It’s an infrastructure project and a student enhancement project,” he said. “The first phase of the project concentrated on the first, second and third floors, along with adding new seating to the auditoriums."

The second phase, set to begin in August 2013, will concentrate on the ground level and the office wing, along with modifying the west entrance and constructing a new student lounge.

Anspach has been made more accessible to people with disabilities due to remodeled bathrooms that comply with the standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Many of the renovations aim for making Anspach more environmentally friendly.

Esch said the changes to the HVAC and electrical systems will result in less energy use and a more efficient distribution of energy that is used.

“We’re going to save $50,000 a year on energy costs,” he said.

In a University Communications news release, Director of Plant Energy and Utilities Leroy Barnes said Central Michigan University’s carbon footprint has been quickly decreasing because of efforts to conserve natural gas and reduce electricity consumption.

The Anspach renovations comply with the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards.

Other buildings that are LEED-certified include the Education and Human Services building, the Events Center, Ronan Hall and the Bovee University Center.

The Dow Science Complex, Foust Hall, Moore Hall and the Towers health clinic and dining room were also renovated this summer.

Faculty reactions

Faculty members who work in Anspach have mixed reactions to the renovations.

“This is the only building project I’ve seen that was actually done on time,” said William Spruiell, a faculty member in the English department.

Brian Smith, a faculty member in the sociology, anthropology, and social work department, said the recessed lighting in the classrooms is an improvement.

“The heating and cooling seems better, more efficient,” he said.

Lori Rogers, associate director of the Writing Center, said not much work was done in the basement, where one Writing Center is located.

“It’s been a lot of disruption, but it’ll be worth it in the long run,” she said.

Plans for the second phase of the Anspach renovation include the addition of a student lounge.

“We need office space and classroom space, not another coffee shop,” said one anthropology faculty member who wished to remain anonymous. “I fail to grasp how a lounge serves student needs better than more classrooms and office space for faculty members who deliver the educational experience.”