CMU 1, Detroit 0: Soccer team scores late to win season opener

It was a better late than never result for the Central Michigan women’s soccer team Friday at Titan Field in Detroit.

Junior midfielder Kaely Schlosser struck a ball just inside the 18-yard line during the 88th minute, beating the goalkeeper for the lone goal in the Chippewas 1-0 season-opening victory against the Titans.

"It's always nice to start off with those three points and a W," head coach Neil Stafford said. "It was a gutsy performance, so yeah, we're really happy to be heading back to Mt. Pleasant with the win."

Schlosser received a pass from junior forward Jennifer Gassman and on her sixth shot of the game. CMU, who have won seven-straight season-opening games, improve its record against Detroit to 8-2-2 overall, beating the Titans 1-0 for the second-straight year.

Senior goalkeeper Stefanie Turner started both those games, making four saves — three today – in 180 minutes and earning two shutouts.

The Chippewas, who usually outshoot their opponent, did just that against the Titans. CMU unleashed a 17-shot attack on Detroit (nine on net) – who mustered up only six (three on net) of its own.

Schlosser was relentless on the offensive side of the field, firing more shots on net (four), than the Titans did as a team.nds

"I thought Kaely had a great second half," Stafford said. "We kind of switched her up. She played a little bit of midfield, a little bit of forward and she did a great job going at their backs in the second half."

Her persistence paid dividends at the end and the team looks to continue its winning ways at 1 p.m. Sunday against Evansville at the CMU Soccer Complex.