Column: Soccer team deserves more credit

I'm comfortable saying the United States women's national soccer team was popular during the Summer Olympics in London, capturing a major group of fans at the 2011 World Cup in Germany.

After Germany, there were talk-show appearances, commercials and other post-World Cup glamour following the exciting but unfinished run the team made (losing to Japan in penalty kicks).
This has led to the USWNT (United States Women's National Team) trending multiple times on Twitter, along with popular names including Alex Morgan, Abby Wambach and Hope Solo.
On a smaller scale, the Central Michigan women's soccer team mirrors the USWNT.
The Chippewas have potential to be dangerous, usually outshooting their opponents. The defense seems to rarely get rattled, and, when it does, the experienced goalkeeper is there to do her job, and they are seeking revenge after missing the NCAA tournament last season for the first time since 2008-09.
Obviously, CMU isn't on the same popularity level of the USWNT nationally, but why can't they be in Mount Pleasant?
They represent CMU, have a proven track record for success and expect to retain an NCAA tournament bid.
The soccer team has been the staple of success since the top-25 football team fell into the triple-digit preseason ranks.
CMU turns into Gotham City in a scene from "The Dark Knight Rises" when the football or basketball team pulls off an upset.
It's almost reversed in soccer.
The team beat No. 24 Purdue in 2009-10 in the NCAA Tournament and returned the following year, losing 1-0 to No. 12 Marquette – playing a game that was basically in Marquette's backyard, on a rain-soaked field at Milwaukee.
Last season, the Chippewas lost one-goal games against West Virginia and Kentucky (in OT), beat Louisville and Pittsburgh and tied Michigan.
CMU is a force to be reckoned with in the Mid-American Conference year-in and year-out.
Grand Valley State has football, Duke has basketball, Akron has men's soccer. This university has women's soccer -- and it needs to embrace it.