Enderle's versatility brings strength to volleyball bench

The key to be an asset off the bench is being versatile.

Sophomore middle blocker and outside hitter Hallie Enderle has shown she is as versatile as they come.

“(Beginning on the bench) means being versatile; it means being able to look at my teammates in different positions and giving pointers, because I see a lot more than they can,” Enderle said. “That’s nice to have that kind of depth and they can have that extra pair of eyes.”

Enderle has been praised this offseason on her versatility. The sophomore from Mankato, Minn. is listed as a middle blocker on roster, but when she came to Central Michigan she was nationally ranked as an outside hitter.

Enderle’s versatility has helped the Chippewas fill the gaps from a couple offseason injuries. With senior outside hitter Katie Schuette being sidelined with a back injury, and junior middle blocker Danielle Gotham playing through a knee injury, Enderle can fill in for both upperclassmen.

“Since (Schuette) has been out with her back, I’ve been training with the outside and doing pretty well,” Enderle said.

Head coach Erik Olson turned to Enderle during the match against the University of Wisconsin — Green Bay last week when Gotham was struggling, allowing her teammate to rest her knee.

“I don’t want to put miles on her knee and things weren’t happening for her tempo,” Olson said. “We used some of (Enderle’s) clips as examples of how pretty our backside offense could look.”

In just four sets, Enderle recorded 11 kills, four blocks and three digs. She recorded four kills and a block during the third set against the Phoenix, helping CMU to a match-high .310 attack percentage in her first appearance of the season

“Quite honestly, right now, she is the best outside hitter in the gym and yesterday she single handedly shut down our entire starting team, so she is a really good blocker and she’s hit the high ball out of system,” Olson said. “I’m chomping at the bit to find a way to get her into the match.”