Baseball to host annual scout day

Theunissen Stadium will be the host Sunday for Central Michigan’s annual Scout Day at noon.

The layout of the day will start with a 60-yard dash and will include batting practice, an infield session and a simulated game where draft-eligible pitchers will be able to throw an inning or two.

“It’s an opportunity for our guys to showcase what they’ve done and the skills they’ve improved upon,” head coach Steve Jaksa said. “(Scouts) can ask (coaches) questions about a kid they’re interested in and then follow them in the fall or spring.”

Major League Baseball scouts are typically looking for talent at all ages, though they look for young players to follow throughout their careers, Jaksa said.

“(Scouts) are always looking for tools,” Jaksa said. “If it’s a freshman or sophomore, they are looking for guy they can keep their eye on.”

The Chippewas have had success lately in the MLB Draft with five players taken in 2012 including shortstop Jordan Dean (Tigers) and pitchers Zach Cooper (Phillies), Jon Weaver (Rays), Dietrich Enns (Yankees) and Ryan Longsteth (Tigers).

“It’s an opportunity for the scouts to see our guys and an opportunity for our guys to play in a different venue,” Jaksa said. “There’s some excitement to that day-to-day routine.”

The day might also work as a first look at the new team for fans of the program. Fans are welcome to partake and watch the event free of charge, along with about 20 MLB scouts.

“We play a game, maroon against white, and play the number of innings that our draft eligible pitchers can throw,” Jaksa said. “It’s a nice and special day dedicated to being just a scout day.”