CMU students reminisce on 90s toys and games

Many students don't have a problem remembering their fuzziest of memories from the 90s — their toys.

“Furbies,” Evert sophomore Nicole Custersaid. “I played with those things like crazy.”

While some students taught an electronic hamster/owl-like creature to talk, others had digital games in their hands.

“I remember playing with my Game Boy Color a lot,” Howell sophomore Ryan Coy said. “My Game Boy was teal and I played Pokémon, the yellow version. I also remember playing the Ghostbuster’s game, where you had to try to catch ghosts.”

Brighton sophomore Alexa Moore recalls playing on her first PlayStation.

“I always played Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, and Related Metal," she said.

NFL Blitz, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers and Pokemon were other games popular on the Nintendo 64, Addison sophomore Nick McClure said.

" I also remember playing with a pogo stick,” he said.

Both boys and girls all seemed to have a fancy for video games, but dolls are a memory of grown female students.

"I played with Barbies all the time when I was younger,” Custer said. “I wish I still had all my Barbie. It was always fun dressing them up.”

Moore recalls Betty Spaghetti as her favorite doll.

Other students wish they could trade in their books and bills for the days of semi-competent electronic toys and animals made of beans.

“I wish I still had all of the Beanie Babies and Furbies that I collected,” Moore said. “I had a ridiculous amount of them.”

Coy wishes he still had his Pokemon cards.

“It was fun to spend time trading for the best ones,” he said.

Board games were also a big hit in the 90s. The most popular games among interviewed students were Candyland and Perfection.

“I used to play Guess Who? with my brothers,” Moore said. “It's weird to think of all the board games (my family and I) used to have. I feel like technology is so advanced that people don’t even have board games anymore.”