Students use meal plans and local stores to save money on food

The cost of college tuition plus a recovering economy means times are hard, especially for many college students.

With numerous cafeterias located around campus and a Meijer just around the corner, students know how to save their money when it comes to food.

"I like getting groceries from places near campus like Target and Meijer, I personally think it's cheapest and I can get meals for a couple weeks," said Catie Smith, a Detroit freshman.

Many  students use off-campus food choices to get affordable meals that can keep them out of stores for longer lengths of time.

"I love getting packs of Ramen noodles, they can last me up to two weeks," Smith said.

When it comes to saving money on food, some students take another route.

"I love using coupons, it's a great way to save money," Davison freshman Carly Hackett said.

Other students save money on campus using their Flex dollars or their meal plans.

"I like eating at the RFOC cafeteria because of the wide variety of choices it offers," said Erica Horton, a Dearborn freshman. "I'm very happy with food selections here. I use my student ID or Flex dollars so all the food is fairly cheap."

Flex dollars are a common way for students to save money in their banks and pay for their food with their student ID card rather then spending money at local stores.

Another food option is the student meal plans appear as part of a student's tuition. From pizza to a Mongolian grill, there's a food choice for everyone.

"I'm a vegatarian and I personally like eating at the RFOC because of the vast variety of salad choices and it's charged onto my meal plan so the cost is decent," Hackett said.