Soccer holds off No.12 Marquette 0-0

Central Michigan senior goalkeeper Stefanie Turner kept all 11 of No. 12 Marquette’s shots on goal out of the net Monday, allowing the Chippewas to hold on for a 0-0 tie and make a statement to future opponents.

“We’ve been working for a long time on breaking the glass ceiling,” senior defender Katie Slaughter said. “We proved we’re not just a mid-major program; we deserve to be the top-25 every year and I think we’re going to have to prove ourselves every year.”

The Golden Eagles took 22 total shots, one that went into the net with 13 seconds remaining, though it was disallowed on an offsides call.

“It’s great confidence,” Turner said. “It would have been great to get the win because we created a lot of opportunities.”

CMU outshot MU in the first overtime 2-1. Marquette put pressure on the Chippewas in the final overtime, but Turner stood her ground.

MU had five corner kicks in the second added time and as many shots. Four of the final five shots came within the last five minutes of the game.

“Obviously they wanted to win and they pushed forward and put pressure on us, but I felt like we did a good job handling it,” Turner said. “We gave them a few corners, but we were solid on our clearances there and we took care of the end of the game.”

Turner made a save on junior Maegan Kelly in the 107th minute and another on sophomore Mary Luba in the 108th minute to preserve the shutout.

“I thought today that Stef Turner was outstanding,” head coach Neil Stafford said. “I think collectively, as a defensive unit, we did a great job. We took a lot of pressure on today.”

MU possessed the ball well, but instead of making silly errors that usually come up in conversation following this type of game, the team joined together and held off the Golden Eagles’ pressure.

“You really have to tip your cap to the players that were on the field,” Stafford said. "I thought it was a great team effort. We used a lot of kids again today (19) and to see that many kids used and to stay organized and compact, is a big credit to the kids that played today.”

The Chippewas continue their seven-game road trip next weekend, when it will have its third opportunity against a top-25 team.

They face No. 17 Texas A & M at 2 p.m. Sunday, but, before that, they play at 9 p.m. Friday against Texas State.

“Texas A & M is another team that prides itself on scoring,” Slaughter said. “If we can get shutouts against teams like Marquette, I think we can do it here.”

“If we can score goals and get more shots on goal next weekend, there’s no doubt in my mind that we’ll come out with a win.”