Gold falls short to Maroon, 7-4, in game six of Fall World Series

The Maroon team defeated the Gold team 7–4 while racking up nine hits in game six of the Fall World Series Tuesday.

The inter-squad scrimmage victory was Maroon's fifth in six contests this fall.

Central Michigan head coach Steve Jaksa said he likes the improvement and progression his baseball team has made during these fall games in terms of pitching and hitting.

“This was the best game we’ve played since game one,” Jaksa said. “We think we’ve made some progress and we’re trying to get them to understand what they’re trying to do in terms of the game plan that they have.”

Sophomore Jordan Foley started the game for the gold team, giving up four runs and striking out nine through six innings.

Taking the hill for the maroon squad was senior Rick Dodridge, who pitched one inning and struck out one before giving way to sophomore Matt Trowbridge.

The sophomore pitcher gave up three hits and fanned seven through seven innings.

The maroon team struck first, scoring two runs on a single from freshman Morgan Oliver.

Maroon increased its lead to 3–0 in the second inning after freshman Logan Regnier's single scored freshman Tyler Frank. Another run would come across in the fifth on an Oliver sacrifice fly.

Jaksa said he has been pleased with the progression of his pitchers, though they still need to work on calming down on the mound.

“Some guys are even trying to add a pitch while still trying to be aggressive and adding something to their personal game plan to make them that much better,” he said. “We’re trying to get them to relax, which is something we teach … it takes experience to slow the game down."

Gold scored three runs in the sixth inning. Senior Jordan Adams scored two on a double, and a sacrifice–bunt from sophomore Tyler Huntey scored one, cutting the Maroon lead to one run.

A passed ball and bases–loaded walk in the seventh inning hurt the Gold squad's comeback, adding insurance runs for Maroon.

Each team scored one more run before the conclusion of the game making it a 7-4 final.

Maroon won game five on Monday, 9-5, which lasted only eight innings. This was maroon’s fourth win of the fall, clinching the title of 2012 Fall World Series Champions.

The final game of the series will be played at 2:15 p.m. Wednesday inside Theunissen Stadium.