Women's basketball takes .500 record to Florida tournament

Women’s basketball will travel to Gainesville, Fla. to play a pair of games in the Gator Holiday Classic starting at 4:30 Thursday against St. Joesph’s.

“We're going to Florida to take on some quality opponents and having fresh legs is going to be key for us,” head coach Sue Guevara said. “We can be pretty good, we have a brutal schedule and it's not going to get easier.”

Central Michigan will play St. Joseph’s first, followed by either the University of Florida or Savannah State University.

St. Joseph’s has an overall record of 5-3 and are coming off a 51-55 loss to Villanova.

“We have this Florida Tournament and we have St. Joseph's who's a pretty tough opponent,” DiGuilio said. “They beat Maryland, so again it's like Notre Dame; the preparation has got to be the same. We have to be tight, not play sloppy and just take care of business."

The Gators are 8-3 and coming off a win against La Salle University, while Savannah State, who is 5-6 overall, won against Alabama State University

“We have five games left down in Florida and out in California against San Diego and then either Iowa or Texas and then we have Marquette,” Guevara said. “So put your big girl pants on because here we go, it's time to play."

The Chippewas recently defeated Robert Morris 96-56 to bring its record up to .500 (4-4).

“I wouldn't say we have a .500 record because we've done more than stay with the big dogs,” DiGuilio said.

This was CMU’s second win in a row after losing two tough games to Purdue and Notre Dame

“We have to be together as a team,” junior forward Taylor Johnson said. “Look at who we've played, some really tough teams, but that's what it takes to be able to go against teams like Robert Morris and have it be like practice.”