Baseball loses middle game of series at Western Kentucky, 12-6

The baseball team conceded runs in all but two innings and Western Kentucky piled up 15 hits in a 12-6 win against CMU.

The middle game of a three-game weekend series between the two teams was a back-and-forth affair early.  The Chippewas scored in the first inning for the third-straight game, but gave up two in the bottom of the inning and trailed 2-1.

With the game tied at four in the fourth inning, the Hilltoppers hit back-to-back-to-back singles to take the 5-4 lead and chase starter Pat Kaminska from the game.

"For the first four innings we were right in the game; right where we wanted to be," said head coach Steve Jaksa. "Yesterday we were able to sustain our pitching and today, between them swinging it and us not making some plays, we were hurt a little bit."

Kaminska gave up six earned runs and struck out one in three and one-third innings.

"I think Pat hurt himself a little bit," Jaksa said. "By the time we took him out he was getting the ball up a little bit and they were getting some decent swings on him. I think he'd probably tell you he wasn't as sharp as he usually is."

CMU went down in order in the fifth and sixth innings against WKU reliever Austin Clay, its bats, however, were much more effective against the bullpen, as the Hilltoppers scored three runs in the fifth and two in the sixth to extend their lead to 11-5.

"There wasn't really anything different he was doing," Jaksa said. "I felt we hit a few balls hard, but at the same time, I felt like a few of our guys didn't have as good of an approach as I'd like them to."

WKU would make it 12-6 in the eighth when Devin Kelly crushed home run over the left-center field wall.

Sophomore center fielder Nick Regnier went three-for-four with three RBI in the loss. His brother, Logan, finished two-for-four with a pair of runs.

Sophomore catcher Tyler Huntey and junior shortstop Noel Santos each had an RBI.

Freshman left-handed pitcher Jimmy McNamara also made his debut in the loss. He allowed two hits, one run and struck out one over two innings.

"There wasn't really anything different between today and yesterday," Jaksa said. "We just need to make sure we're battling in certain counts. I thought there were a few too many swings at bad pitches in certain counts."

The Chippewas and Hilltoppers play the final game of their series Sunday with first pitch scheduled for noon. Senior Rick Dodridge will start his second game of the season. Dodridge allowed one run and struck out four in a win at Louisiana-Lafayette on Feb. 17.