CM Life Player of the Week: Jordan Foley helps CMU get only win of weekend against Western Kentucky

Baseball head coach Steve Jaksa said he’s always looking to put a guy at the mound to keep his team in the first game of a series.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Jordan Foley was that guy on Friday.

Foley was the starting pitcher against Western Kentucky in the first game of the weekend’s three-game series, and, in the 4-2 win, Foley took a no-hitter into the fifth inning and struck out eight.

“When you have a guy doing that, it gives the offense a chance to get on track, and we were able to score,” Jaksa said. “That’s the consistency we’re looking for. I’m always looking for a guy that I can run him out on Friday to keep us in the game against their best guy. Jordan was able to do that.”

Foley allowed just two hits over six scoreless innings in Friday’s game.

In his two appearances this season, he’s walked four batters and posts a 0.69 ERA.

In the opening weekend against Louisiana-Lafayette, Foley pitched seven innings for CMU in the second game of a four-game series.

In that game, he allowed just five hits and one run, striking out seven batters.

Jaksa said he hopes Foley stays where he’s at because of how well he’s doing but also knows there is always room to grow.

“This was just a glimpse of seeing what he can do,” Jaksa said. “We can see him working toward putting together a full game. Once he’s at a full game and can command all his pitches on a particular day, he’s going to be tough to handle, I mean, he’s tough to handle now.”

Seniors Patrick Kaminska and Rick Dodridge pitched the other two games in the series against WKU.

In the third game of the series, CMU had trouble stringing hits together, Jaksa said, but there were players who did their jobs.

Sophomore Nick Regnier had another good weekend with the outfielder getting four hits and three RBI for the weekend.

Junior shortstop Noel Santos had five hits and an RBI on the weekend, while senior infielder Jordan Adams had a hit and RBI on Sunday.