Riecker Literary Series allows theater students chance to shine in unique setting

Students lived out their adaptions of famous American classics for this year's Riecker Literary Series.

Central Michigan University's Riecker Literary Series is a co-curricular program of theater, interpretation and dance areas. This is a popular form of among prominent theater companies throughout the nation.

The Riecker Literary Series held a New Students Work Showcase the weekend of Feb 21 in the Moore Hall Kiva, which showcased an adaptation of Edith Wharton's "Fullness of Life."

The series focused on presenting American literature as literary theater. This particular focus revolved around literature published from 1850 to 1950.

The series has supported the development and full production of multiple adaptations, including Mark Twain's "According To Twain: Accounts, Tales, and Yarns" and Willa Cather's "My Antonia."

This year, the series took a turn and brought focus to the work of current students.

"While this particular event is new, we do try to present an adaptation every year or two," Elizabeth Richard, the Riecker Literary Series adviser said. "This is, however, the first time we have focused specifically on student adaptions."

During the fall semester, a call for scripts was put out by the series which followed specific guidelines, including having original adaptations of American poetry and asking for adaptions between 10 to 20 minutes.

"This year, we really wanted to encourage students studying literary theater at CMU to develop their own work and to provide a venue to produce that work," Richard said.

Shelby Township senior Kyle Burch had his script reviewed and chosen by the series for a minimally produced workshop production.

Burch was director and adapter of Edith Wharton's "The Fullness of Life."

When it came to selecting a cast for his adaptation, Burch explained that he opted out of auditions due to time constrictions.

"The main challenge that we faced while preparing for the showcase was a limited amount of time for rehearsing," Burch said. "This just meant that we had to really focus at rehearsals and get a lot done in a small amount of time."

Time did not seem to have much of a negative affect on the actual adaptation. The 15-minute production was both entertaining and symbolic.

The adaptation was presented differently than other theater shows. There was more of a storybook atmosphere and a busier stage.

"Narrative theater is much different than dramatic theatre," Commerce Township sophomore and cast member Nicholas Visger said. "It is more like storytelling."

Cast members gave praise to Burch for his successful staging and light use.

"Kyle was very straightforward," Visger said. "When he came in, he knew what he wanted and how to get it done"