Rocky Weaver uses pro day for another shot at the NFL

It seems fitting that a tough football player could find himself in the physically demanding world of construction.

And for former Chippewas offensive lineman Rocky Weaver, that's right where he ended up since he left Central Michigan University, working construction and other jobs to pass the time while he recovered.

“After college,I had some injuries I was working on recovering from, and now that I feel a lot better, it seemed like the right decision to come here and try to get a shot,” Weaver said. "It's important for me on several levels to be out here and just giving the dream another shot.”

However, it becomes quickly apparent after speaking with him that construction isn't where he would like to be. Weaver missed playing football, and so he worked out and ran drills at the CMU pro day on Monday, trying to get a second shot playing the game he loves.

During his time at CMU, Weaver started 35 games for the Chippewas, forming an integral part of a successful offensive line. The Battle Creek native started off as a tight end, then switched to right tackle and helped the offense put up very strong numbers for the next three seasons. Weaver feels like his best football is still ahead of him.

While he starred as an offensive tackle in college, Weaver caught passes and ran routes at pro day as part of his intended plan to covert to tight end, a position he played successfully in high school and for the first season in college. As a freshman, he played in 11 games for the Chippewas as tight end, catching eight passes for 65 yards and a touchdown on the season.

Weaver ran drills and worked out with his teammates, but he wasn't pleased with the results of his workout.

“The numbers were a little rough I felt a little weak," Weaver said. "Drills went well, but what are ya gonna do?”

Despite this, Weaver feels like his time away from football has helped him prepare for this next step.

“Naturally, I was just able to recover, from not hitting people all the time, not lifting as strenuously and also allowing you to rediscover your love for the game," Weaver said.

For now, Weaver will wait like the rest of his former teammates for a call that he hopes will be a shot with a pro team.

He will continue to work out, stay in shape and keep himself mentally prepared for the challenges ahead. Weaver knows what every construction worker should; strength comes from your foundation, and he has that strong foundation.