Volleyball names new assistant in Mitch Kallick

Mitch Kallick has been named the new assistant volleyball coach after former assistant Dave Zelenock took the head coaching position at Tennessee Tech.

Kallick brings in 10 years of Division I coaching at Maryland, Cal-State Fullerton, Tennessee and New York University.

"I think we found a fantastic assistant coach to join our volleyball family," said head coach Erik Olson in a release from CMU Athletics. "Mitch is a tireless, hard worker, a core value that I think is integral to our program's success."

Kallick served as the recruiting coordinator at Cal-State Fullerton and Maryland, a position that opened when Zelenock left, with numerous nationally ranked recruiting classes, including one in the top 40 with the Terrapins in 2011.

Kallick helped lead the Titans to a 2011 conference championship and in his one season with the Volunteers in 2006 he helped lead them to the NCAA Tournament with a 19-12 record.

While at his alma mater NYU, he helped guide the Violets to a NCAA Division III Elite Eight appearance in 2005, two final four appearances in 2003 and 2004 and a NCAA Championship appearance in 2003.

In 2003 and 2004 the NYU staff was named Coaching Staff of the Year.

"His experience in years and diversity will really help our program grow in all areas," Olson said. "Mitch's willingness to learn what is special about our program and its uniqueness makes him a perfect addition to our staff. We are eager to learn from Mitch as well, as we all continue to grow in our journey to be our best. I think our program won big today with this hire"