Students plan to enjoy a Mount Pleasant summer

Several Central Michigan University students will pack up their luggage and return home for the summer, but others have plans to stay.

Farmington Hills junior Cheneé Peeples said she will spending her summer in Mount Pleasant due to her involvement in the Biology Undergraduate Mentoring Program.

“I’m in this program, and, over the summer, we do research,” Peeples said. “My research is environmental microbiology.”

Peeples said though this is not her first time summer in Mount Pleasant, she plans to have fun and explore the city even more than in years past.

“Last year, I just kind of explored Mount Pleasant, downtown Mount Pleasant, just different things,” Peeples said. “They have a fair. I’m looking forward to that again. So, (I'm looking forward to) just exploring and getting the feel of Mount Pleasant for what it really is, outside of the college town.”

Peeples said she would like to spend her summer doing something else or going home, but she’s gotten used to staying in town.

“I definitely feel like I can make it fun no matter where (I am), but I would like to go home or go on a vacation more so than be kind of restricted to Mount Pleasant for two months (because) all my friends are at home,” she said.

Likewise, Novi sophomore Allison Snider will be spending her summer in Mount Pleasant doing research.

“I will be staying in Mount Pleasant to do research with biology professor Dr. Mahon, who recently got back from Antarctica,” Snider said. “It’s going to be a great experience in my field of study, so I was thrilled to have the opportunity.”

Snider said some of her family has a cottage near Mount Pleasant, and she plans to visit them frequently; however, she admits she’ll miss seeing her friends and other family members back home.

“You spend so much time apart (from friends) during the school year; part of me wishes I could be back in Novi with them,” she said.

Snider said over the summer she’ll be working, as well.

“I will be working about 40 hours a week, so that will keep me pretty busy,” Snider said. “I will be helping out in the lab, cataloging and organizing Antarctica samples and whatever else they need me to do.”

Snider also plans to make free time to enjoy the summer through activities such as going swimming and having bonfires.

“I really want to try tubing down the (Chippewa River), though,” she said. “I also have a few friends who will be staying in Mount Pleasant, so I hope to hang out with them when I get time.”

Monroe senior John Wallace said he prefers his summers in Mount Pleasant. Wallace has been spending his last three summers here.

“It’s easier to get into the groove,” Wallace said. “People stay around for classes, so you’re not meeting new people or ever leaving them. You’re just always in the loop.”

Wallace said he will be working over the summer while staying in Mount Pleasant.

“It’s easier than moving back home, because, usually, I have multiple jobs up here, so it’s impossible to leave both jobs and expect to return to a job coming back from the last school year,” Wallace said.

Wallace said he thinks anyone can have a good summer, regardless of where they are and said he plans to have just as much as fun in Mount Pleasant as he would in his hometown.

“Go to the (University) Meadows' pool a lot during the summer,” Wallace said. “A lot of people drink there, play beach volleyball or any other thing you can imagine. Play basketball and that type of stuff.”

Snider said, during the summer, Mount Pleasant dies down, and she doesn’t know how much she’ll like the emptiness around campus; however, she said she will have a good time one way or another.

“I’m sure I can still have fun, but it’ll probably take a little more creativity up here than it would back home,” she said.