Baseball blown out Saturday 11-2

Less than 24 hours after a disappointing loss in game one against Akron things didn't get better for the baseball team on Saturday.

Playing through steady rain and strong winds the Chippewas were roughed up by the Zips, 11-2.

"Slow start, no start, it doesn't matter, we didn't get anything on board," said head coach Steve Jaksa. "In the first three innings I though we hit the ball pretty well. We hit four line drives right at people, but after that we didn't string together a lot of quality at-bats."

It wasn't until the third inning that Akron's offense started applying the pressure.

Zips first baseman Chad Gillings hit a single and started the four run rally. That hit also got his day started as he went on to hit his first and second career home runs to left field in the fourth and eighth innings.

With two outs in the third and runners on first and second redshirt sophomore Tyler Huntey caught a fly ball in left field and after throwing the ball to sophomore shortstop Joe Houlihan who tossed the ball into the dugout before a timeout was called. Runners were allowed to advances two bases, brining in the fourth run of the inning.

"They put a four-spot and we made a mistake by not getting a timeout," Jaksa said. "(Gillings) hit a two run home run right down the left field line ... and that six-spot made it difficult."

Akron's starting pitcher John Valek made things difficult for the Chippewas at the plate.

He went 8.1 innings and striking out four, only allowing five hits and two earned runs.

"He stays away and he is a three-pitch guy and tries to work them in and out a little bit," Jaksa said.

It wasn't until the ninth inning that CMU put on its lone two runs.

Sophomore Cody Leichman continued his strong weekend with a hit in the second inning and a sacrifice fly RBI, redshirt sophomore Tyler Huntey also had a RBI sacrifice fly.

Senior Rick Dodridge will get the start Sunday at 1:05 when to try to salvage the series and get an important win as far as standings go in the Mid-American Conference tournament.