Against WMU, CMU has chance to end losing skid against Broncos, stay bowl eligible

wmu

The physicality in practice was amp'd up, the words a little more vicious.

It's almost time to play.

Central Michigan and Western Michigan meet on the field for the 84th time Saturday (Noon, ESPN+/ESPN3), but not without important ramifications for the 3-6 Chippewas.

"Our bowl future's still at hand," senior tailback Zurlon Tipton said. "We win these three games, you never know what happens. That's our goal right now: win the next game because it's a very important game, but definitely win these last three games."

Tipton, who made his return last week against Ball State after suffering a broken ankle in the season-opener at Michigan, eased off the smack talk earlier in the week, opting only to take an indirect shot at the city of Kalamazoo rather than the Broncos.

He learned his lesson from last year, after putting up 112 yards rushing but losing to the Broncos, 42-31, in Mount Pleasant.

"I don't like to talk about it, especially with it being my senior year," Tipton said. "This is my last hurrah, I'm looking to give everything I got."

CMU head coach Dan Enos opted to downplay Saturday's game, declining to single this game out as a "must-win."

"Every game I've ever played or coached in is must-win," Enos said. "If I play in a pickup basketball game, I think it's a must-win. That's how I'm wired. I think they all are."

Junior receiver Titus Davis, though, wants a win. Not only is he playing opposite his brother, WMU receiver Corey Davis, but he's also 0-2 against the Broncos.

He calls it an opportunity to "get back on track."

"I'm itching and scratching to get to this game," Davis said. "We need this win. We haven't had the cannon here since I've been here and this is a great opportunity for us to bring that back and get this win."

WMU head coach P.J. Fleck, in his first year in Kalamazoo, says he's put a special emphasis on the game.  The season hasn't necessarily gone the way he wanted, the Broncos enter 1-9, but everything changes during rivalry week.

He knows, having been on the coaching staff at Ohio State (graduate assistant, 2006) in the past.

"I’m not one of those coaches that downplays the rivalry. It’s another game, yes, but it’s not another game. It’s Central," Fleck said. "I love to embrace the rivalry, because that’s what college football is about. A lot of other levels don’t have that, and that’s what makes it so special. You bet we’re embracing it, just like Coach Enos is embracing it.

"You’re playing for something. It really doesn’t matter you’re records, you want to be 1-0 in the Central Michigan week.”

Contact Aaron McMann: aaron.mcmann@gmail.com. Follow him on Twitter @AaronMcMann.