On the Rox members pay tribute to the past during 10th anniversary concert

a3-ontherox
Emily Brouwer/Staff Photographer South Haven junior Claire Trapp sings during the On the Rox acapella 10th anniversary concert on Saturday night at Plachta Auditorium on the campus of Central Michigan University.

Members of the a cappella troupe On the Rox celebrated its 10th anniversary by reminiscing about the past and looking toward the future on Saturday.

To start its 10th anniversary show, a presentation showcased the group's 10-year history through photos from past performances to parties and everything in between. Afterward, the current members of the group were introduced to thunderous cheers and applause.

Over the last decade, On the Rox has accumulated many fans, both new and old.

“I have a friend in the group, so I came to support her," said Woodhaven junior Jon Konarska. "I just started going to the shows this year, and I love them. They’re amazing. It just blows my mind that everything you hear is coming from people’s mouths."

The support of the crowd was overpowering, as many of them cheered and held signs up for the performers to see.

“I saw them perform at Mock Rock and I thought they were awesome," said Heartland senior Nick Rensel. "When I heard about the concert, I decided to come with a group of friends. I thought it would be cool, so we all came to check it out."

On the Rox President Angela DiGiovanni said the group has improved immensely over the last decade.

“I think over time, we’ve greatly improved," she said. "Now, we’re focusing on being better and sounding like a more professional group. We are the only all-female a cappella group on campus, and we really try to focus on the music and the performers. We’ve grown as friends, too.”

On the Rox, DiGiovanni said, is striving to give itself a higher profile on campus and elsewhere moving forward.

“We recently sang the national anthem at a Tigers game in Detroit, and we’re set to perform for (Gov. Rick Snyder) at a holiday party in the coming months,” she said.

After intermission, On the Rox alumni joined the current members on stage to sing a rendition of Pat Benetar’s "Heartbreaker."

One alum, Kaylie Hutcheson, told the audience the group struggled to come up with its name at its inception.

“We were almost going to be Zack Attack, from 'Saved by the Bell,'” Hutcheson said.

The alums onstage were met with hugs and enthusiastic applause as they joined the girls.

“I can’t believe how much it’s changed over time, since when it was just an idea in their minds,” said alum Carly Molloseau. “When I started, we only had a small handful of girls. It was tough to book gigs and take it seriously. But now, there are at least 15 girls up here performing, and they’re growing every year.”

https://vimeo.com/79077334