REVIEW: 'Escape Plan' stars break out of prison and into theaters

Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger have finally joined forces to headline an action-packed film that moviegoers have been patiently waiting for.

In the breakout hit "Escape Plan," Stallone leads the cast as Ray Breslin, a lawyer who turns into a prison security analyst. Breslin's job is to enter a prison and subsequently break out in order to find security weaknesses.

Stallone's character finds himself in over his head when his latest and most challenging job turns out to be a set up. Things take a turn for the worst when escaping a prison turns from a job into sheer survival.

The all-star cast also includes a long list of familiar faces, like Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, Jim Caviezel ("Person of Interest"), Amy Ryan ("The Office"), Sam Neil ("Jurassic Park") and Vinnie Jones ("Snatch").

The film offers fewer explosions and gunfire than the typical mainstream action flick, but still leaves the viewers plenty satisfied.

Displaying brain over brawn, Stallone and Schwarzenegger partake in what seems to be more of a mental test than a physical one. Despite this, both actors have no trouble using their classic strength when necessary.

The film starts off rather slow, relying more on cunning and planning than needless explosions.

What the first half of the movie lacks in action, the second half more than made up for, as Stallone and Schwarzenegger do what they were put on this Earth to do: Impress audiences in death-defying action scenes.

The subtle action of “Escape Plan” is a nice change of pace for both Stallone and Schwarzenegger, who have recently been in major action blockbusters like “The Expendables” and “The Last Stand."

Although the actors both appeared in “The Expendables 2,” the idea of the two headlining a movie together has been tossed around since the 1980s.

“Escape Plan” is a simple story that is easy to follow and allows for plenty of action, which is always a good formula when Stallone and Schwarzenegger are involved.

While the film is not extremely complex or action-packed, it still provides a solid piece of entertainment.

While somewhat generic, the perfect pairing of an easy plot line, good action scenes and its reasonable timing of 90 minutes, this movie is a safe bet if you are looking to sit back and be entertained.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars