COLUMN: Lupus is just a word

ranzenberger-katherine1

It was the day before my birthday, Dec. 17, which was supposed to be nothing spectacular. And it was, until 5 p.m.

I had a follow-up appointment with my rheumatologist at 4 p.m. I waited an hour before actually getting into a room. I was anxious and shaking because that day, I would finally get my diagnosis.

Two weeks prior, they had taken 12 vials of blood, testing for everything from rheumatoid arthritis to hepatitis. I received a call a week later saying not to worry, but I have a vitamin D deficiency and to start taking a supplement, and that the rest of my results are taking a little longer than expected.

Those were not words I wanted to hear, but I soldiered on, grabbing some Nature Made vitamin D supplements and adding them to my usual routine. A vitamin deficiency was the least of my worries and made sense to me. I'm a redhead, and I don't get along with the sun. It only seemed natural.

As I waited in the empty white room for my doctor, I became scared. What if something is seriously wrong with me? How will this affect my future? Will I be able to function like everyone else?

Finally, my little, female, Asian doctor arrived, shaking my hand and saying she had some idea of what was wrong.

She went through all of my results. Liver numbers are high.  Joints are swollen. Slight anemia. It all led her to one diagnosis: Lupus.

As soon as those words left her lips, my heart sank.

My dad had mentioned that he had a second cousin with Lupus, but he didn't think I could have it.

I asked her, "Are you sure?"

Her only reply, "For now."

Lupus is known as "The Great Imitator." It hides among symptoms that could belong to any number of diseases and conditions. It eats away at your body, killing your liver, kidneys and joints, while being unable to be pinned down.

My doctor told me she doesn't want to put me on typical prescription medications because the side effects of the medicine could make me more miserable than the disease itself. She said to reduce my stress, quit one or two of my four jobs, eat healthier and exercise more.

Lupus is a word I could use as an excuse to give up, or to throw myself a pity party.

But I won't do that.

To me, Lupus is just a word. A word for what I've been dealing with since I was an 11-year-old. It's a word that gives me clues as to how to treat the condition.

For now, I'm beginning to look into alternative medications. Many have said homeopathic remedies and even medical marijuana have helped them cope with the loss of appetite, loss of energy and general fatigue the disease causes.

I want to take you, the readers, on this journey of treatment.

From trying new, alternative medications, to possibly getting my medical marijuana card. I want to share my experiences.

Maybe it can give someone else the hope and courage to get the help they need. Maybe it can encourage someone to seek out alternative ways to treat their diseases in a prescription-riddled society. Or maybe it will just make for an interesting read.

For now, I have Lupus, and I'm going to try to treat it the best I can.