Editorial: Finding a balance

At a time when decreased enrollment plagues Central Michigan University, the administration’s emphasis on online education isn’t helping to alleviate the situation.

Although on-campus undergraduate enrollment suffered from a 7.3 percent decrease in student credit hours over the past five years, Global Campus credit hours have skyrocketed 44.9 percent in that same time frame.

Earlier this month, U.S. News and World Report listed Central Michigan University as the top ranked online undergraduate bachelor’s program in the nation, moving up from last year’s rank of No. 39.

Online education has not only been a noteworthy area of growth for CMU, but is playing a large role in the development of the “CMU Brand.” That direction, however, may be selling the true student experience short.

The university is required to list specific expenditures exceeding $1 million in each years operating budget. This year, listed seventh on that list, is a $7.5 million ceiling to Global Campus and University Communications for various marketing and advertising initiatives.

According to Vice President of University Communications Sherry Knight, advertising for CMU's main campus was capped at $1.1 million – nearly seven times less than what is being spent on marketing our Global Campus.

As the university responds to decreased enrollment with increased marketing efforts and a focus on diversifying recruitment, one begs the question if the overwhelming emphasis on online programming is the answer.

While growth to CMU’s Global Campus ultimately means more tuition dollars and continued expansion for the university as a whole, placing such a large amount of attention on online classes and distance learning will not make an impact on enrollment on campus.

Enrollment statistics are the DOW Jones average of any public university. When numbers are up, times are good. When down, we feel the impact.

This year, that impact was felt through a $15 million budget deficit.

Although the faculty and staff of CMU’s Global Campus earned their spot as the best in the nation, and the programs are a convenient and profitable option for both the university and students – it does nothing to market the true CMU experience at our Mount Pleasant campus.

With fewer students enrolling on campus, fewer resources are available for on-campus students – and the university should be doing everything possible to bring prospective students back to Mount Pleasant.

Promoting Global Campus does just the opposite.

Rather than encouraging students to come to CMU, the university is bringing CMU to the students, and it comes at a multi-million dollar price tag for our main campus. It also undersells what it means to be a student in Mount Pleasant.

Enrolling at CMU and actually living on campus for four years provides an experience that no online class can provide. Between Greek life opportunities, RSOs, athletics, career networking and the social aspects of being part of a student body – the experience is unmatchable, and CMU needs to make that message known.

During a time when on-campus fixed-term faculty positions are facing elimination due to shrinking demand for class offerings, the university needs to make the opportunities available in Mount Pleasant a priority.

CMU needs to refocus on the quality of on-campus programs, targeting prospective students for the heart of the student experience.

The growth and success of Global Campus, especially when marketed so prolifically, shows a priority shift for the university – but is it a direction we should be going in?

CMU is still very much capable of providing a real student experience, and if only for enrollment’s sake – it’s time for the university to recognize and deliver that message, and bring the focus back to where it belongs.