Freshmen battle for place on Gymnastics roster

This season, gymnastics will feature many underclassmen who will have to prove their mettle to earn a spot on the starting roster among veterans.

More than half of the athletes on roster are underclassmen, but only one freshman has been in competition so far this year alongside upperclassmen who are looking to add a fifth consecutive Mid-American Conference Championship banner to McGuirk Arena.

Freshman Kirstin Stambaugh has been on vault and bars for the Chippewas in competition thus far. She has already been making large improvements, going from an 8.85 on bars and a 9.6 on vault against Wisconsin-Eau Claire to a 9.675 on bars and 9.65 on vault against Maryland.

“I’m really happy that they trust me and put me in," Stambaugh said. "I’ve learned to trust myself and trust my team.”

Stambaugh said one of her goals for this season is to be in the lineup for another event. Head coach Jerry Reighard said she’s not far off.

“She’s very close on the other two events, but those two take a little more familiarity with the program and the expectations,” Reighard said. “To make our beam squad, you've got to be really mentally tough. To make floor, that’s a long minute and a half to keep your attention, and that’s something they have to learn.”

This year’s freshman group is similar to many past groups and they will need to learn how to be Division I athletes, Reighard said.

“Nobody that competed last year is going to roll over and let someone take their spot,” he said. “It’s an uphill battle for them, and I don’t think they realize that coming in the door.”

Reighard said even though some of his young players don’t always know what to expect, they’ve been responding very well despite occasionally having the “deer-in-the-headlights” look.

“These athletes were probably the best in their club situations and so it’s very different,” Reighard said. “When they didn’t see their name on the starting lineup, I’ve seen even stronger motivation. They’re more motivated now because it’s not handed to them, they’ve got to earn it and they finally know that.”

The freshmen have two veterans, senior co-captains Emily Heinz and Brittany Petzold, to learn from. Both players have won a MAC Championship for every season at CMU and are looking to capture their fourth consecutive title this season.

"They’re a huge impact on our team," Petzold said. "The underclassmen make up half of the routines, so if they’re on-board, the upperclassmen get on-board, too.”

The Chippewas will have to utilize its mix of upperclassmen and underclassmen if they want to win their fifth consecutive MAC Gymnastics title, a feat no MAC team has ever accomplished.

“This is one of the few teams where I don’t have any work ethic problems with anyone,” Reighard said. “Everyone is very motivated.”

While only one freshman has been in the lineup so far this season, Reighard isn’t ruling out the others. With only two seniors and five of the six sophomores already in the lineup, it’s safe to say Reighard isn’t afraid to put out a young team.

“Some of the mental games, the strategies, the workouts, take freshmen by surprise,” Reighard said. “But they’re responding well, they’re working hard and they’re getting better. They may compete.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →