EDITORIAL: Keeping local business afloat

After local late-night favorite Lil' Chef closed its doors Sunday, we’re reminded of the importance of fostering the growth of small business in Mount Pleasant and throughout the state.

Earlier this month, Mount Pleasant was named one of the best areas in Michigan to start a business by the annual eCities study on economic development.

The city couldn’t earn this recognition without community support.

Although Mount Pleasant is far from an urban location, there are advantages to doing business here. Part of what makes our city special is the variety of small businesses that cater to both CMU students and the community.

Those businesses need our support to continue to thrive. In fact, we could all do a better job promoting what Mount Pleasant has to offer.

“We need to come to grips with our location,” University President George Ross said during his October state of the university address. “We need to make it a competitive advantage.”

We agree.

Small businesses are defined by the state census as operating with 500 or fewer employees and nationwide. More than 50 percent of the working population is employed at small businesses. According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, since 1995, small businesses have generated 65 percent of new job opportunities.

With larger companies outsourcing work and reducing their workforce during the recession, small businesses have remained constant employers and have served as a source of innovation.

The power of small businesses in small communities cannot be underestimated. They keep money within the community and support the local economy.

Through the unique experiences that only small businesses can provide, they help build the character of the community. It’s those small businesses that tend to give back the most, supporting Central Michigan Life, CMU Athletics, United Way, Special Olympics and many other organizations.

Support the businesses that support you.

When we leave Mount Pleasant, the memories that we take with us will be synonymous with our favorite local spots, the ones that you can only find in Mount Pleasant.

Pixie. Dog Central. Mountain Town Station. The Bird. Stan’s.

Those are just a few of the businesses that will continue to define the CMU experience for generations of students to come. We should do our part to make sure they’re here for those generations to enjoy.

However, these businesses, like Lil’ Chef, are becoming fewer.

According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, there were nearly 20,000 less Michigan small businesses in 2010 than in 2000. Between 2007-10, the openings of these local establishments dropped more than 12 percent.

There is value in the convenience of larger stores like Walmart, but with each one we gain, we may potentially lose a smaller store that cannot keep up with corporate competition.

Of the small businesses that survive, only half stay in business for five years or more. Only 25 percent manage to stay open for 15 years.

Their success encourages the growth of more business in the community, in turn strengthening Mount Pleasant both economically and culturally.

Local establishments help make a name for our city, catering to our students and community – and it’s our responsibility to make the extra effort to provide the same support in return.

We challenge you to take advantage of Mount Pleasant's local establishments.

When you need groceries, go to Ric's Food Center. Next time you're picking up a six-pack, head to the Old Mission Party Store. Hungry for lunch? Try Taco Boy or Jon's Country Burgers. Dessert? Pull into Robaire's Bakery.

Bring your friends to Hunter's Ale House or The Cabin. Grab a bite at The Brass Café or the Malt Shop.

Help these businesses stay where they belong. It’s one step you can make today to ensure that these businesses are here tomorrow.