Former CMU QB Darrien Boone ordered to serve one year probation, pay fines for credit card fraud

http://vimeo.com/86643314

Former Central Michigan University quarterback Darrien Boone was sentenced to 12 months probation Thursday, and ordered to pay $923 in fines and legal fees after using a stolen credit card in November.

The 19-year-old's sentencing hearing was held at the Isabella County Trial Court where he was represented by his defense attorney, Anne McLellan. She told Trial Court Judge Mark Duthie the incident was a mistake, and to consider Boone's talent as an athlete along with his multiple scholarship offers.

"It's very disheartening for a young man with such a life ahead of him," McLellan said. "He's a gifted football player, this was just a dumb thing to do. We don't expect kids to commit crimes, but we do expect them to make mistakes. My client knows what he did was wrong."

Boone was given a one-year suspended sentence of 15 days incarceration. Duthie credited him for one day, served before his initial arraignment. Boone will not have to serve time if he successfully completes his probation.

If Boone is successful, Duthie said his probation might end early.

"You're not going to jail today, but I am going to hold some time over you," Duthie said. "If you get all your monies paid and get your community service done, I have no problem terminating the probation after seven or eight months. No promises, but we'll take a look at it. You're going to have to perform."

Boone was arraigned Nov. 20 on one count of stealing and retaining a financial transaction device without consent, a felony, according to Isabella County court records.

According to a court affidavit, Boone and CMU student Dejuan Smith found the credit card on Nov. 1 in the parking lot of off-campus apartment complex Lexington Ridge.

A few hours later, security cameras caught Boone and Smith using the card to purchase $71.15 at a Shell gas station and $17.99 at Rally’s in Mount Pleasant.

According to the affidavit, Boone was wearing CMU athletic attire while the fraudulent activity occurred.

"This was obviously a crime of opportunity," said Prosecutor Mark Kowalczyk. "It's something that does happen in our community. It's a judgement crime. They decided to do this because it was illegal. The conduct has wide-ranging implications."

Since the incident and his suspension from the football team, Boone has been living in Chicago. According to his lawyer, he has been attending school at a nearby community college in Illinois.