Gymnastics tops EMU in first half of MAC dual meet

In their first meet since earning a Top-25 recognition, the N0. 19 Central Michigan gymnastics team defeated Mid-American Conference rival Eastern Michigan 195.925-194.6, Friday.

It was CMU gymnastics' first road trip of the season and first time playing out of Olympic Order, but the Chippewas still defeated the Eagles who recorded one of their highest scores in program history.

The Chippewas were .075 points away from hitting the milestone 196 mark for the second consecutive meet.

CMU head coach Jerry Reighard said the importance of conference play cannot be overstated.

“I’m more concerned about the MAC matchup rather than a ranked opponent,” Reighard said. “There is a regular season championship on the table here against these teams and we just need to take care of these teams. If we don’t we don’t see them twice,we know the consequences if we falter.”

Junior Halle Moraw excelled on vault scoring a 9.875 and as usual she lead the team on floor with a 9.85.

Co captain Brittany Petzold shined as well scoring a 9.825 on bars, but was left out on beam for the second meet in a row.

CMU excelled as a team in vault (a rotation the team has struggled in the most this season) for their second straight meet.

The victory against the Eagles improves CMU's record to 6-0 and 2-0 in MAC competition. CMU takes on Bowling Green in the second half of the MAC dual-meet, Sunday at 2 p.m.