Smiles keep Liberty Tax Service wavers warm

Wayne Goodwill said the happy faces he sees on the road help him survive the frozen temperatures at work.

As a Liberty Tax Service waver, Goodwill is tasked with getting the attention of motorists at the intersection of East Broomfield Road and South Mission Street.

“One of the coolest things that I did see,” Goodwill said, “was that there were two adults with three children in the back (of a car), and a baby was in a car seat. (The baby) was the only person that waved at me out of the whole crowd.”

His employers often offer him breaks from the freezing temperatures that averaged just above single digits last week. However, Goodwill insists on remaining outside.

“People walking or even people driving will honk and wave and get all excited,” Goodwill said. "I am sure most of them are CMU students."

Goodwill said he is experienced at shrugging off any rudeness from drivers. He said a positive attitude is required for the job.

Justus McDonald, a Shelby Township junior, said he frequently sees the wavers from Liberty Tax Service on his way from campus to his home at the Tallgrass Apartment Complex.

“There is usually a guy on the corner that will wave and if I make eye contact with him, I usually give him a friendly wave back," McDonald said.

When he waves back at the workers, McDonald said he can tell they enjoy the attention.

Amanda Adkins is another one of 12 wavers hired by Liberty Tax Service. Even though Adkins has only been working the job for a month, she said she is enjoying it.

“I think what keeps us going is being able to see people smile,” Adkins said. “Last week it was cold, but if you suit up right, then you won’t have a problem.”

Adkins said the owner of the Liberty Tax Service in Mount Pleasant, Rick Henkes, is very lenient and kind. Because of the harsh temperatures, Henkes lets them stand inside often and for as long as they need to stay warm.

Alan Goodwin is in his third season as a registered tax return preparer at Liberty Tax Service. He said the wavers are good for business.

“I’ve had people say that they came in because they saw the wavers,” Goodwin said. “They draw the eye and they bring some attention to the business. The more they can have fun, the better it translates for the business. We get people who just walk in and ask about the job more than applications.”

The hours for the wavers are from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Adkins said. Shifts also vary depending on the weather and temperature.

“Every day I come out here and smile, I get the positive results I'm looking for,” Goodwill said.