Softball team drops three of five in Arlington, shows sparks of pitching success

Softball's success has rested on its pitching performances early in tournament play. When Central Michigan allows more than two runs, they are 0-3. When the Chippewas allow two or less, they are 5-1.

In its second tournament of the 2014 season, the team traveled to Arlington, Texas, where they dropped three of five games.

Both of CMU’s wins came against South Dakota State, opening the weekend with a 5-2 triumph, and closing it with a 5-1 victory. The team lost two games at the hands of UT-Arlington, 9-3 and 2-1, and lost one against Missouri State, 6-3.

“The key is to keep opposing hitters off-balance," said head coach Margo Jonker. "Whether it is with speed or location, keeping hitters guessing is important for success in the circle."

Sophomore second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure hit .333 in the tournament. Junior third baseman Trista Cox hit a blistering .571, with two home runs, bringing her season total to five.

DeLamielleure, who was sidelined in 2013 with a back injury, said she is excited to be with her team.

“Last year was not fun sitting out, but it gave me a different view of the game," she said. "I have a lot of confidence in our team, and I’m confident we will have a good year.”

The winning pitchers for the Chippewas were seniors Morgan Yuncker and Chelsea Sundberg. In the first game of the tournament, Yuncker pitched a complete game, surrendering just one earned run on five SDSU hits.

“The main thing was that I was able to keep the ball inside on hitters' hands, not letting them get around on pitches,” she said.

To close the tournament out, the Chippewas rematched SDSU, and on the strength of Sundberg’s pitching, were able to leave Arlington on a high note. Sundberg allowed one earned run on four SDSU hits.

Next weekend, the Chippewas (5-4) will head to Louisville, Kent. for the Cardinal Classic.