Style important for some, while others prioritize warmth, comfort

Ugg boots, Vera Bradley backpacks and North Face coats are what many college students are wearing during the harsh winters in Mount Pleasant.

Add a cup of coffee and you have your average Central Michigan college woman. However, Middleville senior Annie Brower is deviating away from dressing for the cold. Rather, she pieces her daily attire with statement pieces, so that people are sure to stop and look.

"Personal style should not be limited to a season,” Brower said. “Even in the winter, I try to bundle in a way that still projects my style. Winter is one of my favorite seasons for fashion. I wear a lot of coats and jackets. I like long menswear style wool coats and big scarfs.”

Though it can be hard to be fashion forward in the winter due to the temperatures, Brower still makes a way for her personal style to persevere.

Layering is the best way to compensate for wearing a thick, bulky coat in the winter. Wearing a peacoat, with a thick scarf and thigh high boots can easily keep you warm, while also fighting away the cold.

However, there is reason behind not "dressing up" in the winter. Spring Lake freshman Kristen Burmeister said she dresses comfortably because it is so cold.

“Being warm seems to exceed looking nice in the winter,” Burmeister said.

Layering also goes along with dressing comfortable because a person can easily take off layers.

Burmeister’s favorite winter item is boots, though she is not a fan of Hunter rain boots because so many people wear them. She said she likes vibrant colors in the winter so she can still stand out while feeling comfortable.

Another trend around campus is Parka North Face coats. On an average day, the majority of the women walking around campus will wear this type of coat, which extends to the knee and are made out of quality materials, guaranteed to keep you warm.

Parka coats because they range around $300, making them somewhat pricy for the average college student. Many college students seek warmth and comfort in the winter, while a select few still keep up with the latest fashion trends.