CMU Pow Wow provides students with free entertainment, education

Charlotte Bodak/Staff Photograper Ste. Sault Marie resident Miisheen Shawanda, 14, dances during the Junior Men's Traditional dance Saturday afternoon during the CMU Powwow in McGuirk Arena.

To the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, the annual Pow Wow is an opportunity to connect with students and the Mount Pleasant community.

The 25th annual Central Michigan "Celebrating Life" Pow Wow will be held March 22 from 1 to 7 p.m. and March 23 from noon to 7 p.m. at McGuirk Arena.

“The CMU Pow Wow is an important part of Native American culture providing social and cultural singing and dancing,” said Kasey McCullough, cultural program coordinator for the Office of Native American Programs. “It is important to the CMU campus, as it brings cultural awareness and diversity.”

In addition to the Pow Wow itself, there will be a wide variety of dances, which include an intertribal dance open to the public, an all-around dance for registered dancers and, new to this year, a smoke dance special.

Admission is free for CMU students with ID’s, children 4 years old and younger and tribe members. Otherwise, admission is $7 for adults and $5 for youth under 17 years old, and elders more than 55 years old.

“It’s great to have students come out to the Pow Wow, not only for the singing and dancing but for the food and craft vendors in attendance,” said Auburn junior Lauren Grotkowski. “I love to eat Native American food while I’m there, as well as admiring all the beautiful crafts – there is truly something for everyone.”

The Pow Wow is made possible through contributions from many sponsors, which include the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe and organizations from CMU.

For more information visit cmich.edu/powwow.