Huntey finding success for baseball in various positions

Whether it's behind the plate or in the outfield, Central Michigan junior Tyler Huntey is making an impact on the diamond.

Huntey, who was recruited as a catcher from Morley-Stanwood High School and redshirted his freshman season, is hitting well and playing quality defense this season.

"I don't ever get overly worried about (where I'm playing)," Huntey said. "I'm more concerned of doing whatever I can to help the team win that day. Whether it's behind the plate or in the outfield, I never really know what's going to happen, but I don't worry about it."

Huntey batted .271 in 2012 and was voted the team's Most Improved Player by his teammates, but a poor offensive output last season with a .194 batting average led to less starts.

It looked as if he was heading down the same road this season in the Chippewas first series. Huntey batted a combined .161 at UNLV and Troy, while his team went 2-6 in those games.

But he and the Chippewas got into a groove since, hitting .340 personally in an 8-4 swing for the team since Feb. 23.

He batted .450 in four games last weekend with a double, triple and eight RBI. The performance earned him last week's Mid-American Conference West Player of the Week honor.

"It's just consistency and (Huntey) has been very consistent," said head coach Steve Jaksa. "I congratulated him yesterday and said, 'don't change anything.'"

Jaksa praised Huntey's composure at the plate regardless of the situation.

Whether a runner is in scoring position or not, the approach remained the same for the junior.

"When situations dictate certain things, people get amped up," Jaksa said. "The ability to relax, take the same approach and slow the game down is huge."

Huntey's ability to play as a utility player helps Jaksa juggle the Chippewas lineup and batting order on a game-by-game basis.

His defense has improved as well, leading the team in put-outs with 90 and, as the eldest catcher, plays a large role in the success of the Chippewas veteran pitching staff.

"The goal is to have the best lineup you can," Jaksa said. "(Where he plays) is dictated by who is pitching and who can handle things. Tyler has done a good job progressing behind the plate and starting to show some of the leadership qualities that come behind the plate."

The Chippewas are looking to keep rolling at 3:05 p.m. Friday at Ohio as MAC play begins.