Meet the candidates for the 2014-15 SGA elections

Candidates for the upcoming Student Government Association elections were announced at the general board meeting Monday night.

Students running for office now begin their campaigns leading up to the elections March 31 to April 4.

SGA President Marie Reimers is running for reelection with treasurer Margaret Blackmer as vice president. They are running against Senate leader Charles Mahone and House leader Mariah Urueta.

During her first term, Reimers worked on a number of projects that are still in progress, including the Campus Programming Fund reform. The Saginaw senior said she is seeking reelection in order to see these projects through to completion.

"If we are elected, we're going to finish what we've started," Reimers said.

As vice president, Blackmer said she would work to develop more organization within SGA by encouraging officials to write legacy notes for their successors and developing action plans for committees.

Mahone, a Macomb junior, has been in the Senate since his freshmen year. He said he would use the presidency to improve efficiency in student government.

"Working internally, Mariah and I have seen a lot of ways we can make SGA better," Mahone said. "We've put together an extensive platform based on them."

Urueta said she hopes to bring the skills she has gained through her work with SGA and her time as a residence assistant to the office of vice president.

"My main goal would be student representation," the Waterford senior said. "I want to bring a sense of community to the whole campus."

Running unopposed for the position of treasurer, Taylor Gehrcke said he still plans to campaign to get the word out about his platform.

"We need to work on transparency with the budget so everyone knows what's going on," Gehrcke said. "Getting that information out there is an important part of the job."

During election week, students can vote online through OrgSync at vote.cmich.edu.

Senate elections are being conducted in a new way this year. Each senator runs to represent a college on campus and students vote for the senator for their particular colleges.

College of Business
        Andrew Brown
        Stephen Dunn
        Eric Ostrowski
    College of Education and Human Services
        Anthony Cavataio
        Joe Frey
        Michael Greco
        Chelsea Green
    College of Communication and Fine Arts
        Michael Fenner
    College of Graduate Studies and College of Medicine
        William Joseph
    College of Health Professions
        Lissette Rosado
    College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences
        Rebecca Detroyer
        Ian Elliott
        David Guest
        Brynn McDonnell
        Samuel McNerney
        Tim Minotas
        Miguel Olivera
        Emma Tuthill
        James Willard
    College of Science and Technology
        David Burney IV
        Shanice Chandler
        Audra Flores
        Vincent Roncelli
    Undecided and Global Campus
        Joel Maki
        Kaye  Reimers