Next 'Speak Up, Speak Out' forum addresses upcoming elections, key issues

speak

Politics can be difficult to understand if one doesn't know what the issues are.

Central Michigan University students can discuss upcoming elections during the next Speak Up, Speak Out panel, 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday in the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium.

The panel will cover what the next major political races are at the state and national level, and how the outcomes will shape the direction of the country.

Political science professor David Jesuit organized the session and will moderate it. He said students should come to better understand what issues are at stake in the upcoming elections.

“Now is the time to begin thinking about issues like that, and it’s especially important with alumni on the panel,” Jesuit said. “It’s good for students to know how they can get involved and what they can do to learn more about the issues.”

Jesuit said the panel will discuss national congressional races, as well as Michigan senatorial ones. What issues will be on the ballots and how they will affect the public will be covered, along with what proposals can be expected from this year’s candidates for Michigan governor.

The event features six panelists: Andrea LaFontaine, state representative for Michigan's 32nd district; Chad Livengood of The Detroit News; Ted Clayton of the political science department; Nancy Quarles, Oakland County commissioner and a member of the Michigan Democratic Party; Hayley Alderman of College Democrats; and Casey Kreiner of College Republicans.

Rockford freshman Emily Macauley said Speak Up, Speak Out panels are a great way for students to learn about today's political discussions.

“Students usually don’t know what to do to find out about the issues and this is a good way to get your voice heard,” Macauley said.