Gymnastics expectations for 2015 at an all-time high

jan10-tarynwattles99
Taryn Wattles / Staff Photographer Teammates congratulate Commerce junior Kylie Fagen after her performance on the uneven bars; a performance which earned her a tied first place win, scoring a 9.825.

A fifth-consecutive Mid-American Conference Championship. Three individuals advancing to the NCAA national championships.

The 2014 gymnastics team might be the best team in program history and they're just getting started.

“I have to say that this is the most talented team top to bottom,” said head coach Jerry Reighard. “In past years, there have been many  individuals that have had the same talent sets that our gymnasts have, but not the numbers.”

The most exciting part about the 2014 team is there are only two seniors graduating, Brittany Petzold and Emily Heinz.

“Those are two big events that we need to make up,” said junior Taylor Noonan. “We have some good incoming freshmen and also some other girls on the team that didn’t compete much this year that have a lot of ability. I’m really excited, especially with six seniors (going to nationals) is going to definitely be a doable feat.”

For a program with 15 MAC championships – all of which coming in the last 24 years under Reighard – being the most talented team is no small feat.

In the 2003-04 season, the team sent four individuals to nationals and scored the only two 197’s in team history. The 2014 team owns fourth through seventh place in the record books for the highest meet score.

Noonan said CMU’s performance at regionals proves the team is worthy of national title consideration.

“I think we really made a name for ourselves at this meet, coming in third, almost beating Georgia who’s the No. 6 seed in the nation,” Noonan said. “I definitely think we’ve set a standard for many years to come.”

Reighard will look to four incoming freshmen to compete with the current gymnasts to improve on the team’s two weaker events, vault and uneven bars.

“We have some excellent vaulters coming in and really good bar workers,” Reighard said. “The people that didn’t compete on those events (this year) don’t intend on letting the freshmen have a shot. That’s very exciting because that proves to me that (the) intensity level will remain high.”

Sophomore Taylor Bolender and junior Halle Moraw are two gymnasts likely to compete in all four events next year for the all-around. Moraw is one of three gymnasts that will compete at nationals April 18 on balance beam.

“It’s just a great feeling knowing that all the hard work that I’ve put in is paying off,” Moraw said. “Everything – all the pain and struggles I’ve been through – has all been worth it.”

While the 2014 MAC championship trophy hasn’t even had enough time to collect dust, Reighard is ready to work on another one.

“I’m very, very excited about next year,” Reighard said. “I’m really looking forward to it. I don’t think six (consecutive MAC championships) is out of the possibilities.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →