Softball completes sweep of EMU behind strong outing by Yuncker

gc-baseballvsbuffalo78

Softball swept Eastern Michigan in its own house.

After winning 9-7 on Saturday, the Chippewas defeated EMU 7-1 on Sunday. Senior pitcher Morgan Yuncker went the distance, giving up one earned run on three hits. She walked one EMU batter and struck out seven.

Junior third baseman Trista Cox went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run, and an RBI. Junior shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer and sophomore first baseman Katelyn Rentschler also went 2-for-3. Sexauer drove in two runs and scored two runs.

“Offensively, I think we really stepped up this weekend,” Yuncker said. “When the offense plays that way, it makes my job easier."

The Chippewas got on the board in the second inning when Cox was singled home by Sexauer.

Freshman Danielle Marlink pinch-hit for senior Raechel Zahrn, singling to right field, and scoring Sexauer and sophomore Evelyn Lorimer to put CMU up 3-0.

“It’s always a team effort,” Sexauer said. “We know that if someone isn’t playing well, there’s always going to be someone else that will step up.”

With just one hit going into the final inning, EMU was not able to get anything rolling against Yuncker, who improved her record to 7-1.

“Morgan was able to throw some really nice off-speed pitches,” said head coach Margo Jonker. “She’s gaining confidence, and you need confidence to play well.”

The Chippewas have a busy week coming up. CMU plays a doubleheader against Oakland University at home on Wednesday before resuming their Mid-American Conference schedule.

On Friday, they travel to Buffalo for a doubleheader, and then to Ohio for games against Kent State on Saturday and Sunday.

CMU leads the MAC West with a 3-1 conference record, and holds the best overall record. Kent State and Buffalo both hold .500 records in conference play.

“We’re looking forward to playing more games and getting more experienced,” Sexauer said. “We’re looking forward to winning games, too.”