Parking in peace

I would be more than happy to purchase a parking pass if I thought there was a remote chance of finding parking in Moore Hall's Lot C. While I do not necessarily have issues parking on the rest of campus, I’m sure other students do.

Parking woes are nothing new at Central Michigan University. We all know how difficult it can be to find that coveted piece of pavement between those painted lines.

Parking Services has added more spaces to campus in recent years. However, for me, Lot C still remains a struggle.

Especially at the beginning of the semester, there are seldom any parking spaces available. Since I have yet to purchase a parking pass, I resort to parking in metered spaces. Surprisingly, I have avoided collecting any parking tickets this fall, but I cannot tell you how many tickets I accumulated last year.

But why should I spend $175 for a parking pass that won't even get me close to my classroom?

Parking Services has said that while there might not always be open spaces where students need to be, there is always room in the Student Activity Center parking lots.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not lazy. But that is a huge inconvenience. 

Between work and a full course load, I’m often in a rush and simply don’t have time to journey from the SAC to Moore. Even if I leave early, by the time I scour the parking lot for a space, I often find myself late to class or work. 

Is there hope for a future where there is parking for all, and in convenient locations?

The Campus Master Plan proposes moving parking to the edges of campus in an effort to make it more pedestrian friendly. I give the proposal two thumbs up. There is plenty of room to expand parking and allow students to park much closer than the SAC.

I think all students deserve to be able to park at least somewhat close to their destinations on campus. Until more parking is added to Moore's Lot C, I cannot justify purchasing a parking pass.

I’ll save my money and remain feeding the meter. But I hope one day soon, students at CMU can park in peace.