Phi Mu Alpha hosts Mario Kart nostalgia trip

mariokart
Students play Mario Kart against each other during Phi Mu Alpha

Super Mario dodged in his race car, in an attempt to overtake his opponents while still dodging an onslaught on flying turtle shells.

While the action unfolded closer and closer to the checkered flag, Owosso senior John Bird relived his childhood in a tournament of the popular video game.

“We chose Mario Kart because it’s one of the more popular games on N64 and it’s something multiple people can play,” Bird said.

The tournament had four Nintendo Wii consoles, playing simultaneously on four T.V.s. It was held at Gaming Central, on the lower level of the Bovee University Center.

After the initial rounds, players advanced to the finals and ultimately the championship race. But the highlight of the event for many was the opportunity to relive their childhood.

“Mario Kart was my childhood,” said Jordan Newton, a Macomb senior. “I would get invited to my friend’s place and we would play Mario Kart so it’s a fun pastime.

Some of the participants still enjoy playing Mario Kart on a regular basis.

“We play Mario Kart once or twice a week at my apartment,” said Grand Haven senior Kyle Kaufman.

Students also cited playing with a lot of people as a highlight of the event.

“Honestly Mario Kart is one of my all time favorite games especially to play with a lot of people,” Bird said.

For some participants, Mario Kart is also a good opportunity to bond with friends.

“It’s a really good bonding experience,” Kaufman said. “While you’re racing you hate some of the people you’re racing but then you say good game afterwards. It builds friendship.”

Even those who had never played before still enjoyed themselves.

“Today was my first day playing,” said Simon Geissler, an exchange student from Munich, Germany.

The Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, a social men’s fraternity organized the Mario Kart Grand Prix 64 to raise money for fraternity operations.

Tickets were five dollars for anyone that wanted to be a part of the competition.

There were three gifts cards as prizes. The gift cards were to Starbucks, Insomnia Cookies and La Señorita.

This was the second year for the event and the idea came when fundraising ideas were being discussed.