Veteran find strength in sharing stories

Women veterans shared impactful stories of trauma and military life with the community

veteranspanel
From left to right, Lake freshman Megan Emmendorfer, her mother, U.S. Air Force Veteran Tara Emmendorfer, U.S. Air Force Veteran Brandi Hajek, and U.S. Army Veteran Tammy Hullender share stories from their experiences serving overseas on Wednesday in the Park Library Auditorium.

After watching a documentary portraying the struggles of female veterans that have experienced trauma, a Veterans panel discussion put into context some of the issues these veterans face in their transition from active duty to their civilian lives in the Park Library Wednesday.

Topics of discussion for the panel ranged from sexual assault in the military to veterans receiving Veteran's Assistance benefits.

Some panel members chose to share their own personal stories of experiencing sexual assault while serving in active duty. These emotional stories shocked those in attendance to the point where audible gasps could be heard coming from the audience.

“You can’t change anything about it until you change the culture,” said Tara Emmendorfer, a veteran of the U.S. Air Force.

According to the Department of Defense Annual Report on Sexual Assault in the Military, 5,061 reports of sexual assault were received in 2013. In these, a total of 5,518 victims were involved.

This year there was a 50 percent increase in reporting, which the Department attributes to reporting to more victims coming forward and not necessarily an increase in the crime.

The panel shared that victims of military sexual assault are eligible to receive monthly compensation for their post traumatic stress disorder, but their attackers often go unpunished.

“We are told to shut up,” said U.S. Air Force veteran Brandi Hajek. “There was nowhere to go.”

Emmendorfer, told the audience to focus on the needs of veterans families as well. She was joined on the panel by her daughter Megan, a freshman at CMU. The two provided a look into the lives of military families and some of the struggles military families face.

“We have 2.2 million female veterans in this country,” said Tammy Hullender, a veteran of the U.S. Army. “Lots of these military women are in dual military marriages.” Hullender said this adds to the pressure that these military families face.

Hajek currently works for the Disabled Veterans of America, as well as working with the Veterans’ Resource Center on campus.

“We are trying to make moves to where we are bettering veteran benefits,” Hajek said.

Panel members also shared mixed feelings about having women in combat roles. Some were against females serving in combat roles, while others were on the fence about the issue. The panel acknowledged that women are absolutely capable of serving in combat roles, but panel members had reservations about the dangers of rape and sexual assault that women face while serving on the battlefield.

“I’m all for women’s rights, but I don’t think you should put women at risk,” Megan.

Panel members were also critical of the military’s response to reports of sexual assault, but Hullender ended the panel discussion on a positive note.

“Although we’ve told some difficult stories about women’s experiences, I do think things are changing,” she said.