Personal comfort room opened in UC provides privacy for students

In the midst of busy schedules, work and class projects, a room exists where students can escape the crowded atmosphere for some much-needed privacy.

Last semester, the Bovee University Center opened a personal comfort room to meet the expanding needs of students, faculty and staff on campus.

“We hope to provide a space for people to use for reflection, prayer, breastfeeding or meditation when they cannot travel off campus or go home between classes or meetings,” said Mandee Matzke, assistant director of Events and Conference Services.

The room can be checked out at the UC info desk for no cost on a first-come-first-serve basis. A valid student ID must be provided and is held as collateral until the key is returned.

There is a 45-minute limit placed on the room. Matzke said the room is reserved at least 10 times a day for a variety of uses on the third floor of the UC.

“The process has been successful and I think the growing awareness of the room will be a good resource for university administrators on expanding the initiative to other buildings on campus,” Matzke said.

Matzke hopes the space provides a safe place for students, staff and faculty that is not provided elsewhere on campus.

Grand Haven freshman Dimitra Niotis said a the room gives her a place where she can reflect.

“I think it’s important because everyone deserves a place where they do what they need to do but not everyone has the opportunity to in their place of residence or are too busy,” Niotis said. “It’s nice that this room welcomes the opportunity to have that time to yourself.”

Claudia Douglass, vice provost of Academic Effectiveness, said because the room is located centrally on campus it will be very effective for those who need personal space or privacy.

“The room will be able to be locked because if you are pumping or nursing, you really want individual privacy,” Douglass said. “If it’s prayer, you can go check out the key and leave the room unlocked and people of a variety of different beliefs can be in the same room at the same time and be quiet and respectful.”

Cal Seelye, director of Events and Conference Services, said regardless of needs, the personal comfort room is a great asset for students.

“I believe the room is important because it provides students and staff members a place for a quiet sanctuary,” Seelye said. “Whether they are seeking prayer, meditation or simple reflection, this space provides a quiet, off-the-beaten path place for such opportunities.”