EDITORIAL: Welcome home Bonamego

main_bonob
President Ross and Athletic Director Dave Heeke congratulate their new football coach John Bonamego Feb. 9 at the Press Conference in the Events Center Atrium.

If Monday's introduction is any indication, the Chippewas have found an enthusiastic, committed new leader in John Bonamego.

A 1987 Central Michigan University graduate, Bonamego walked onto the football team as a quarterback and wide receiver before spending 16 years coaching in the NFL. He said at the press conference on Monday that the head coaching position at CMU was "not just another job," but "the job." 

Bonamego made an emotional appearance in Monday's press conference. He aims to "start and end (his) head coaching career here." As we welcome Bonamego back to CMU, we celebrate the enthusiasm he brings to the program.

Bonamego is taking over at a crucial time. Following a coach who was notoriously prickly when dealing with the media or fan criticism, it is important that Bonamego does his best to repair those relationships. Showing respect for the fans and community will make them feel more included. Our students and alumni drive CMU sports culture.

Former Head Coach Dan Enos made his home in Midland, putting distance between himself and the CMU community. If Bonamego and his family are truly "coming home," we hope that means literally.

Annually, Bonamego will be making $115,000 more in compensation than Enos did. The university will pay Bonamego $475,000 each season and promised significant incentives to stay — a raise for every year he stays at CMU — learly displaying their commitment to him.

After a mediocre 7-6 season last year, football fans have been struggling to find reasons to support the Chippewas. With the university putting so much faith in Bonamego, he is expected to use his years of experience to build a winning team and give fans a reason to fill the stands. 

In addition to celebrating more wins, fans would like to see a more consistent offense. The ability to play competitively against rivals and in high profile games like the Popeye's Bahamas Bowl would also improve the team's credibility on the field.

Off the field, the Chippewas sometimes have given us reasons not to cheer. Four cases of players breaking the law last season have cast a shadow over the team's overall performance.

High standards for academics and conduct are vital. CMU has already proven itself successful in those categories. Bonamego demonstrated his understanding the importance of off-field success when he said, "We will win on the field, off the field, in the classroom and in the community."

Taking the time to thank the students and community members for showing up or letting them know how much their support means are simple ways to make them feel involved and valuable.

In return, we as fans can show our support of Bonamego's leadership by going to games and supporting the players off the field.

We, as fans, are ready to celebrate again.