Race to save lives: CMU promotes organ donation

university

April Lucas was nearing graduation, earning masters degree in Hospitality Services Administration from Central Michigan University when she suffered a brain aneurism.

The Macomb graduate student died in 2011 at the age of 23. 

Her family made the decision to donate her organs. That choice saved lives.

“She would have been happy to see the lives that she saved," said Washington sophomore Derek Lucassian, Lucas’ cousin.

Lucassian, who at the time of his cousin’s death was in high school, saw the impact of organ donation.

“After seeing the good in which organ donation can do, it strengthened my beliefs about donation,” Lucassian said.

Already a registered organ donor at the time of his cousin’s death, Lucassian said organ donation continues to play a major role in his life today. Throughout the last month he helped organize the 12th Annual Gift of Life Campus Challenge.

Michigan schools compete to sign up the most people to the Michigan Organ Donor Registry. CMU is ranked third for the number of students registered.

The schools competing against CMU this year are Wayne State University, Northern Michigan University, Michigan State University, Eastern Michigan University, Sienna Heights University and Calvin College. The campus challenge hands out two trophies to the winners for the most students registered and the most registered per capita. 

The Honors Health Service Society is helping organize the campus challenge. The organization works with honor students interested in the health field to provide service opportunities. Jessica Sharkey, vice president of the society, is also working to promote the Gift of Life Michigan Campus Challenge.

“It’s a great thing for students to be on the organ donor registry,” Sharkey said.

Organ donors are in short supply. More than 123,000 people are in need of life-saving transplants. Kloha and Sharkey believe the shortage is because of an uninformed public that doesn’t understand what it takes to become a donor. 

Registration requires a drivers license and a few minutes of time to register online or when renewing a drivers license.

“You get a nice heart on your (driver’s) license to show people you care,” Lucassian said.

Registrants don’t need to be a CMU student to become registered donor. All members of the community are encouraged to register and will count towards CMU’s score in the Gift of Life Campus Challenge. 

The challenge ends at 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 26. Students can register online or at the HHSS table 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. on Feb. 16 in Charles V. Park Library.