COLUMN: Your sexual debut shouldn't be painful

opinion

Attention vagina holders: If you are considering swiping your v-card via vaginal sexual intercourse, I have some important news for you. 

Despite what most young adult novels, erotica and popular media will tell you, your sexual debut is not destined to be painful. 

There should be no "popping" of any "cherries." There should be no pain. There should be no bloody sheets. 

Throughout most of history, pain or blood upon the first vaginal penetration was used as a test to indicate "virginity." If you sailed smoothly through consummating your marriage, people would assume you partook in premarital sex, and negative consequences would ensue.

It was a pretty effective test back in the days when women were married around 15-18 years old and were expected to jump from holding hands to intercourse in one day. Add that to a society that didn't talk openly about sex or female sexual satisfaction, and an over-eager husband who probably had no idea what he was doing, and you have a recipe for a very uncomfortable wedding night. 

Fortunately, modern women are not fated to repeat this sad history. We are quite capable of experiencing a painless introduction into the world of vaginal intercourse. 

"But what about my hymen?" you ask. 

Hymens are the subject of much unwarranted anxiety. Thanks to misinformation and lack of education, hymens have gotten an undeserved bad rap.

Let's examine the facts. The hymen does not completely cover the vaginal opening. There is no reason for it to tear. 

The tissue which makes up the vagina, vulva and hymen is extremely flexible. It can stretch enough to allow a 10-pound human to escape through it, so a penis isn't a big deal. Have a little faith in your hymen. 

That being said, the hymen could use a little time and assistance. The secret to a painless sexual inauguration is patience, lubrication and peace of mind.  

Just as your vagina is not equipped to shoot out a baby in five minutes flat, the hymen needs some time to do its thing. If the penis-wielding partner enters the vagina slowly, the hymen should stretch to accommodate it. It may be uncomfortable at first, but it should not be painful. 

If there is still pain, it is likely caused by a lack of lubrication and anxiety. Most people are nervous about their first time; this can cause the vaginal muscles to tense and prevent the body from naturally lubricating. 

To mitigate this, engage in foreplay before penetration, choose a partner you are very comfortable with, continuously communicate with your partner during the act, use lubrication and remember that it is always okay to stop and try again later if you're uncomfortable.

If after taking all these precautions you still experience pain or tearing, you may have a rare, atypical hymen. In a few cases the hymen can completely or substantially cover the vaginal opening. This is quite uncommon, but you might want take a look down there with a mirror to make sure.

If you do have an atypical hymen, you may visit a doctor to have it removed or gradually stretched. 

So there you have it. There is no need for your first experience with vaginal intercourse to be painful. 

Have a happy sexual debut. Just remember to stay safe and use a condom. 

Ashlea Phenicie is a senior at Central Michigan University and the president of Voices for Planned Parenthood. She has been trained in sexual health education and reproductive rights by Planned Parenthood and Advocates for Youth.