Sexual Assault on College Campuses panel calls for change in rape culture

As a shout-out to a letter to the editor in Central Michigan Life, Laurel Zwisssler asked audience-members of a panel discussion to close their eyes and raise their hands if they knew someone who had experienced sexual assault or violence.

"It was a forest of hands," said the philosophy and religion professor.

This was a demonstration of sexual assault's relevancy on Central Michigan University's campus and was used to open up a forum about sexual assault Wednesday. The discussion was hosted by Speak Up, Speak Out in partnership with the Women and Gender Studies program at the Bovee University Center auditorium.

"I came here because I am a feminist and I personally have had someone in my life who was assaulted sexually (so) I feel very passionately about the topic," said the Waynesville, Ohio freshman Dani Jacobs.

One subject brought attention to was CMU's policy and procedure for the survivor and assailant when an assault is reported. The Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity declined to send representatives to explain how new Title IX changes affect CMU students.

"The general aspect of what happens is that survivors will be contacted by the Office of Civil Rights, invite(d) to their office (and given) their options," said panelist Brynn McDonnell. "If (the assailant) is found responsible for sexual assault, language depends on new requirements now, but the minimum sanction is suspension."

Suspension is only viable if the survivor chooses to pursue the matter through the university and a hearing decides against the assailant, not if the student pursues criminal charges. 

Panelists and audience-members watched five video clips pertaining to sexual assault before entering into discourse. Then they discussed the subjects of rape culture, masculine culture, and gender roles.

"Personally, when (the forum) started talking about gender roles and consent, I thought of little boys on the playground when they are teasing that girl they like," Jacobs said. "'Boys will be boys' furthers the idea (that) boys can do what they want."

Panelists and audience members called for change and awareness to rape culture and the ideas that help it to continue to exist. Mid-Michigan Community College Professor Chuck Bowden emphasized accountability for the culture students create on their campuses.

"I am counting on (this) generation that I see to be the ones to make the change," Bowden said. "The fact that people as individuals are standing up and saying 'I've had enough,' is an incredibly important part in the kinds of changes that are happening on college campuses."