With 17 qualifiers, Chippewas set to host MAC Indoor Championships

main_track
Illinois sophomore Jimmy Hill, jumps into the long jump pit on Jan. 30, at the Indoor Athletic Center.

Throughout the indoor Mid-American Conference season, Central Michigan University Director of track and field Mark Guthrie has stressed to his team the importance of performing at the most crucial moments.

In perhaps the most important moment of the season, the Chippewas will send 17 athletes to compete in the two-day MAC Indoor Championships at Jack Skoog Indoor Track.

Friday’s meet will begin at 10 a.m. and Saturday’s starts at 9:45 a.m. For the first time since 2010, CMU is hosting the event.

“I’m concerned we don’t have enough seats,” Guthrie said. “It’s going to be a sellout. If you’re not here early, you’re not going to get a seat.”

The Chippewa women are led by Breckenridge freshman Kirsten Olling, Munising senior Abbey Kelto, and Freesoil junior Kelly Schubert, who have each qualified for the 3,000 and 5,000-meter events.

On the men’s side, CMU is led by throwers, co-captains, and juniors Cole Walderzak of Standish and Dylan Banagis of Grand Rapids.

“Our throws in this conference (are) one of the best throw conferences in America,” Guthrie said. “You can be in the top three or four in this conference in the throws and you are pretty darn good.”

The Chippewas had a lighter week of practice, as anticipation for the event builds.

“We are doing less reps and higher quality reps with the field events,” Guthrie said. “The work load gets less because it is a championship week. We are trying to keep them low key, normal. We try to keep them calm so they are not missing sleep and taking care of business.”

Grace under pressure, Guthrie said, will be key.

“At the championship level, it’s about the ability to control those emotions,” he said.

Fans will see the No. 2 pole vaulter in the world, University of Akron junior Shawn Barber, who has the NCAA record of 19’3’’

“I’ve been around track for a long time and I’ve been around a lot of world-class athletes. If you’ve never seen somebody jump over 19 feet on a pole, it’s worth being there to see,” Guthrie said.

Guthrie said he is excited to see the championship atmosphere come to life on CMU’s home track.

“It’s going to be great,” he said. “It’s going to be loud. It’s going to be hot. It’s going to be a championship atmosphere and you have great athletes. That’s about as good as it gets.”

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →